- fineness or elegance of feeling, taste, manners, language, etc.
- an instance of refined feeling, manners, etc.
- the act or process of refining.
- the quality or state of being refined.
- a subtle point or distinction.
- subtle reasoning.
- an improved, higher, or extreme form of something: a refinement of the old system.
- Mathematics. a set whose elements include the elements of a given set.
Origin of refinement
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the act of refining or the state of being refined
- a fine or delicate point, distinction, or expression; a subtlety
- fineness or precision of thought, expression, manners, etc; polish or cultivation
- a device, change, adaptation, etc, designed to improve performance or increase efficiency
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for self-refinement
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper