- Also sub·ver·sion·ar·y [suh b-vur-zhuh-ner-ee, -shuh-] /səbˈvɜr ʒəˌnɛr i, -ʃə-/. tending or intending to subvert or overthrow, destroy, or undermine an established or existing system, especially a legally constituted government or a set of beliefs.
- a person who adopts subversive principles or policies.
Origin of subversive
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. traitorous, treacherous, seditious, destructive.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- liable to subvert or overthrow a government, legally constituted institution, etc
- a person engaged in subversive activities, etc
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for self-subversive
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper