- of, relating to, or used in or for training: a training manual.
- intended for use during an introductory, learning, or transitional period: a training cup for weaning a baby; a training bra.
Origin of training
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. See education.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for self-training
Of course, without this I could not have attempted to do what I did in the way of self-training.Great Singers on the Art of Singing
James Francis Cooke
The importance to the aspirant of this branch of self-training can scarcely be magnified.Journalism for Women
Habit is a topic more germane to the subject of self-training, and is therefore examined at some length in our text.The Philosophy of Natural Theology
If a lad grows up without any self-training he is generally fit for nothing, and only a trouble to society.The Thorogood Family
With the promptness which was a part of his self-training, he began at once his new duties.The Story of American History
Albert F. Blaisdell
- the process of bringing a person, etc, to an agreed standard of proficiency, etc, by practice and instructiontraining for the priesthood; physical training
- (as modifier)training college
- in training
- undergoing physical training
- physically fit
- out of training physically unfit
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012