- destitute or deprived of sensation; unconscious.
- lacking mental perception, appreciation, or comprehension.
- stupid or foolish, as persons or actions.
- nonsensical or meaningless, as words: This letter is either cryptic or senseless.
Origin of senseless
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. insensate, insensible. 2. unperceiving, undiscerning. 3. silly, idiotic, inane, witless, asinine.
2. sensitive. 3. intelligent.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for senseless
Bethea is trying to conjure why all the senseless killing of both his family member and the cops as well.Protesters Demand Justice For Gurley As Gap Grows Between Cops and NYC
December 28, 2014
Senseless bureaucracy is part of what spawned the Tea Party.Red Tape Is Strangling Good Samaritans
Philip K. Howard
December 27, 2014
The plot was a string of anecdotes from the senseless shootings of friends that Brinsley knew.Alleged Cop Killer’s Blood-Soaked Screenplay
December 24, 2014
It reflects both the anger provoked by the senseless violence two days earlier, and the growing confidence of the opposition.How Havel Inspired the Velvet Revolution
December 6, 2014
Moral clarity would dictate that civil-rights and other civic leaders would speak out against such a senseless act of violence.It’s Time to Hold Protesters Accountable
December 4, 2014
But I let myself be lured into long spells of senseless and sensual ease.De Profundis
Lady Delacour was senseless, supported in the surgeon's arms.Tales And Novels, Volume 3 (of 10)
"Five dollars," repeated the old lady, lapsing into senseless iteration.Meadow Grass
The death of her son had been like a blow on the head that had felled her senseless to the ground.Therese Raquin
It appeared that all the cattle on the plain joined in the blind and senseless charge.Pariah Planet
- lacking in sense; foolisha senseless plan
- lacking in feeling; unconscious
- lacking in perception; stupid
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for senseless
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper