- Also called humble plant. a tropical American plant, Mimosa pudica, cultivated in greenhouses, having bipinnate leaves whose leaflets fold together when touched.
- any of various other plants that are sensitive to touch.
Origin of sensitive plant
First recorded in 1650–60
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for sensitive plant
The Sensitive-plant (Mimosa pudica) is a familiar example of this genus.Botany for Ladies
Directly any one touches you, you shrivel up like a sensitive-plant.The Duel
A. I. Kuprin
The sensitive-plant shivers and droops its leaves at the slightest touch.Urania
In short, when you pressed this sensitive-plant, it always contracted its dimensions.
Mimosas will presently make a sensitive-plant of him who hangs his hammock beneath their shade.Mount Rainier</p>
- a tropical American mimosa plant, Mimosa pudica, the leaflets and stems of which fold if touched
- any similar plant, such as the leguminous plant Cassia nictitans of E North America
- informal a person who is easily upset