- Astronomy. the Sextant, an equatorial constellation between Hydra and Leo.
- (lowercase) a bronze coin of ancient Rome, the sixth part of an as, issued during the period of the Republic.
Origin of Sextans
< Latin sextāns; see sextant
- (of a fever) characterized by paroxysms that recurevery sixth day.
- a sextan fever.
Origin of sextan
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for sextans
The people buried him by the contribution of a sextans from each person.The History of Rome, Books 01 to 08
Sextans, seks′tanz, n. an ancient Roman bronze coin, worth one-sixth of the as.
We may just glance at two double stars in the small constellation of Sextans, situated under Leo.Pleasures of the telescope
- a faint constellation lying on the celestial equator close to Leo and Hydra
New Latin: sextant
- (of a fever) marked by paroxysms that recur after an interval of five days
C17: from Medieval Latin sextana (febris) (fever) of the sixth (day)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012