[seks-tuhp-lit, -too-plit, -tyoo-, seks-too-plit, -tyoo-]
- a group or combination of six things.
- one of six offspring born at one birth.
- sextuplets, six children or offspring born of one pregnancy.
- Music. a group of six notes of equal value performed in the same time normally taken to perform four.
Origin of sextuplet
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for sextuplet
The sextuplet differs from a pair of triplets in having but one accent.
Sextuplet—a group of six notes to be performed in the time ordinarily given to four of the same value.
- one of six offspring born at one birth
- a group of six things
- music a group of six notes played in a time value of four
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for sextuplet
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper