- to coat (base metal) with silver, especially by electroplating.
- silver tableware.
- a coating of silver, especially one electroplated on base metal.
Origin of silver plate
First recorded in 1520–30
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for silver-plate
And how came it that all this silver-plate had found its way into my pockets?
From sedan chairs to silver-plate their style was the vogue.Chats on Old Earthenware
His desires, however, were not limited to silver-plate engraving.
We forge the nickel for the pivot and capstan, and we silver-plate it ourselves.Chance in Chains</p>
Cyril Arthur Edward Ranger Gull
The three thousand francs were gone, with the silver-plate and the trinkets.Scenes from a Courtesan's Life
Honore de Balzac
- a thin layer of silver deposited on a base metal
- articles, esp tableware, made of silver plate
- (tr) to coat (a metal, object, etc) with silver, as by electroplating
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012