- a cardinal number, ten times six.
- a symbol for this number, as 60 or LX.
- a set of this many persons or things.
- sixties, the numbers, years, degrees, or the like, from 60 through 69, as in referring to numbered streets, indicating the years of a lifetime or of a century, or noting degrees of temperature: Her grandfather is in his late sixties. The temperature is in the low sixties.
- amounting to 60 in number.
- like sixty, Informal. with great speed, ease, energy, or zest: Everyone was working like sixty to finish up before the holidays.
Origin of sixty
Examples from the Web for sixties
John Paul was youthful in his sixties with a radiant charisma.How Pope Francis Became the World’s BFF
December 21, 2014
I struck up a conversation with a man in his fifties or sixties who had a Brooklyn accent.I Ate Potato Pancakes Til I Plotzed
December 17, 2014
This was, after all, the Swinging Sixties in London and the country had moved on.The Castration of Alan Turing, Britain’s Code-Breaking WWII Hero
November 29, 2014
“The Sixties—I had to have my foot in everything then,” he says.The Stacks: The Eyes of Winter: Paul Newman at 70
October 11, 2014
By the mid-1990s, Kinkade had become to the evangelical movement what Peter Max was to the psychedelic Sixties.The Drunken Downfall of Evangelical America's Favorite Painter
June 8, 2014
That Frenchman who came here in the sixties for antiquities?The Book of Khalid
He was a tall, lean, gracious bald man in his early sixties.The Hohokam Dig
In the early sixties we believed in velocity and clearness and brilliancy.Old Fogy
The respect for the Sixties was an article of faith, a dogma of dogmas in the Nineties.
And we collected the drawings and publications of the Sixties.
- the cardinal number that is the product of ten and sixSee also number (def. 1)
- a numeral, 60, LX, etc, representing sixty
- something represented by, representing, or consisting of 60 units
- amounting to sixtysixty soldiers
- (as pronoun)sixty are dead
Word Origin and History for sixties
1848 as the years of someone's life between 60 and 69; 1827 as the seventh decade of years in a given century. See sixty.