- untidy or unclean in appearance or habits.
- characteristic of a sloven; slipshod: slovenly work.
- in an untidy, careless, or slipshod manner.
Origin of slovenly
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. sluttish, slatternly. 2. careless, loose, disorderly.
1. neat. 2. careful.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for slovenliness
Books were strewn here and there, but there was no slovenliness or untidiness; and, ha!My New Curate
Too little attention to dress and surroundings is slovenliness.Practical Ethics
William DeWitt Hyde
"This is not disorder, but the usual Russian slovenliness," Markelov replied gloomily.Virgin Soil
Ivan S. Turgenev
It may be marked by neatness and propriety, or by slovenliness and want of taste.
Griseldas raggedness must not be construed into slovenliness.Chaucer for Children
Mrs. H. R. Haweis
- frequently or habitually unclean or untidy
- negligent and careless; slipshodslovenly manners
- in a negligent or slovenly manner
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for slovenliness
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper