- untidy or unclean in appearance or habits.
- characteristic of a sloven; slipshod: slovenly work.
- in an untidy, careless, or slipshod manner.
Origin of slovenly
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. sluttish, slatternly. 2. careless, loose, disorderly.
1. neat. 2. careful.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for slovenly
Yes, you've taken to mucking your work—doing it in a most slovenly way.L'Assommoir
She was directed by a slovenly maid to a room on an upper floor, and left there.
Careless, slovenly and wasteful as I knew him to be, he was not mean.A Daughter of the Middle Border
It is a grievous thing to note how slovenly this part of the service is in some places.Broken Bread
He lived in a large, stone house, kept in rather a slovenly manner.Virgin Soil
Ivan S. Turgenev
- frequently or habitually unclean or untidy
- negligent and careless; slipshodslovenly manners
- in a negligent or slovenly manner
Word Origin and History for slovenly
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper