- of the body; bodily; physical.
- Anatomy, Zoology. pertaining to the body wall of an animal.
- Cell Biology. pertaining to or affecting the somatic cells, as distinguished from the germ cells.
Origin of somatic
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for somatically
Vainly offering his life for Italy, he is not somatically, mentally, or emotionally an Italian.Idling in Italy
- of or relating to the somasomatic cells
- of or relating to an animal body or body wall as distinct from the viscera, limbs, and head
- of or relating to the human body as distinct from the minda somatic disease
C18: from Greek sōmatikos concerning the body, from sōma the body
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for somatically
"pertaining to the body" (as distinct from the soul, spirit, or mind), 1775, from French somatique and directly from Greek somatikos "of the body," from soma (genitive somatos) "the body" (see somato-).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Of, relating to, or affecting the body, especially as distinguished from a body part, the mind, or the environment; corporeal or physical.
- Of or relating to the wall of the body cavity, especially as distinguished from the head, limbs, or viscera.
- Relating to the vegetative, as distinguished from the generative, functions.
- Of or relating to a somatic cell or the somatoplasm.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Relating to the body.♦ The cells of the body with the exception of the reproductive cells (gametes) are known as somatic cells. See Note at mitosis.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.