- the point or direction midway between south and west. Abbreviation: SW
- a region in this direction.
- the Southwest, the southwest region of the United States.
- lying toward, situated in, or directed toward the southwest.
- coming from the southwest, as a wind.
- in the direction midway between south and west.
Origin of southwest
Examples from the Web for southwestern
Virtually all the southwestern gangs of Mexican heritage (Surenos or Southsiders) are under their control.The Mexican Mafia Is the Daddy of All Street Gangs
December 11, 2014
Languishing in a prison cell in southwestern Iranian city of Ahvaz, 21-year-old Razie Ebrahimi awaits her date with the gallows.Iran to Hang Abused Child Bride
June 20, 2014
Nestled here, in the southwestern corner of the compound, is a heap of crumbling concrete.Pablo Escobar’s Private Prison Is Now Run by Monks for Senior Citizens
June 7, 2014
President Xi Jinping joked that the air in Guizhou, a southwestern province, was so pure that it should be put up for sale.The Chinese Can’t Catch Their Breath
May 5, 2014
The Gigafactory would be built somewhere in the southwestern U.S., and could employ up to 6,500 people.Tesla Looks Like a Bubble, Will It Pop?
March 1, 2014
The Striped Racer of the southwestern states is very long and slender.Pathfinder
The southwestern corner of Wisconsin is a geologic curiosity.Project Mastodon
Clifford Donald Simak
On the southwestern tip of the reef they discovered a possible opening.Storm Over Warlock
Nĕs' tor—the leader of the warriors of Pylos, in southwestern Greece.
Py' los—a town (and bay) in the southwestern part of lower Greece.
- the point of the compass or the direction midway between west and south, 225° clockwise from north
- (often cap usually preceded by the) any area lying in or towards this direction
- (sometimes capital) of or denoting the southwestern part of a specified country, area, etcsouthwest Italy
- situated in or towards the southwest
- (esp of the wind) from the southwest
- in, to, towards, or (esp of the wind) from the southwest
- the Southwest the southwestern part of Britain, esp Cornwall, Devon, and Somerset
Word Origin and History for southwestern
Old English suðwesterne; see southwest + -ern. In reference to a section of the U.S., from 1806, when it meant "Mississippi and Alabama."