- a canned food product consisting especially of pork formed into a solid block.
- (lowercase) Digital Technology. disruptive online messages, especially commercial messages posted on a computer network or sent as email (often used attributively): Install spam blocker software and keep your email spam filters updated to protect your accounts from unsolicited spam.
- (lowercase) Digital Technology. (of promotional content on the Internet) irrelevant or misdirected: The search engine delivered spam websites that had nothing to do with my keywords.
- (lowercase) Digital Technology. to send spam to.
- (lowercase) Digital Technology. to execute (an action) or use (an item) rapidly or repeatedly in a video game: Spam the attack button as soon as the fight begins.
- (lowercase) Digital Technology. to send spam.
Origin of Spam
Examples from the Web for spam
Two weeks ago, spam text messages started pinging the mobile phones of Hong Kong residents associated with the protests.A Double Agent App Targets Hong Kong’s Protesters
October 1, 2014
Spam, squirt guns, earthworms, pirate costumes—stuff like that.Cheap Trick: Most Magicians Are Lazy Hacks
August 19, 2014
Perhaps the most curious dish available for breakfast, listed on the menu as "Everyone's Favorite," is Spam and eggs.Spaghetti for Breakfast?! Not So Crazy at This Idaho Farm Café
Jane & Michael Stern
August 4, 2014
“There are plenty of companies that are more than happy to spam and scam customers with bare-minimum products,” McEwen says.Silicon Valley’s Soft Sex Ban
May 29, 2014
APN will not send you any other content—no spam, no solicitation.Where to Find APN's News Nosh
December 19, 2013
To the majority, spam means no more than chopped meat in a can.The Civilization of Illiteracy
Now, take a ton of email that's not spam -- in the biz, they call that "ham" -- and do the same.
You take every word that's in the spam and count how many times it appears.
If it turns out to be spam, you adjust the "spam" histogram accordingly.
So you're saying that you think the police should suck as hard as my spam filter?
- to send unsolicited electronic mail or text messages simultaneously to a number of e-mail addresses or mobile phones
- unsolicited electronic mail or text messages sent in this way
- trademark a kind of tinned luncheon meat, made largely from pork
Word Origin and History for spam
proprietary name registered by Geo. A. Hormel & Co. in U.S., 1937; probably a conflation of spiced ham. Soon extended to other kinds of canned meat. In the sense of "Internet junk mail" it was coined by Usenet users after March 31, 1993, when Usenet administrator Richard Depew inadvertently posted the same message 200 times to a discussion group. The term had been used in online text games, and it was from the comedy routine in British TV show "Monty Python's Flying Circus" (beloved by many intellectual geeks) where a restaurant's menu items all devolve into spam.
Unsolicited, undesired e-mail. Also used as a verb. Spam is the e-mail version of junk mail.