- the landing of a space vehicle in a body of water, especially the ocean.
- the exact place where such a landing is made.
- the time of such a landing.
Origin of splashdown
First recorded in 1959; noun use of verb phrase splash down
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for splashdown
Marci jumped a foot out of the water, and her splashdown sent watery ripples rebounding off the cavern walls.Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town
- the controlled landing of a spacecraft on water at the end of a space flight
- the time scheduled for this event
- (intr, adverb) (of a spacecraft) to make a splashdown
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012