- a city in S Massachusetts, on the Connecticut River.
- a city in SW Missouri.
- a city in and the capital of Illinois, in the central part.
- a city in W Ohio.
- a city in W Oregon.
- a town in SE Pennsylvania, near Philadelphia.
- a town in N Tennessee.
- a town in SE Vermont.
- a state in the central United States: a part of the Midwest. 56,400 sq. mi. (146,075 sq. km). Capital: Springfield. Abbreviation: IL (for use with zip code), Ill.
- a river flowing SW from NE Illinois to the Mississippi River: connected by a canal with Lake Michigan. 273 miles (440 km) long.
Examples from the Web for springfield
In 1998, Osher served on an expert panel after a shooting at Thurston High School in Springfield, Oregon.Obama’s $120 Million School Safety Plan
June 16, 2014
The Urban League of Springfield in Massachusetts received $5,000.Ex-Politicians Keeping $100 Million in Private Slush Funds
Dave Levinthal, Center for Public Integrity
May 22, 2014
They spent their “honeymoon” at the Globe Tavern in Springfield.Lincoln in Love
February 14, 2014
Much of the Springfield goodwill between the two now seems like a thing of the past.Peter Roskam: Obama’s Republican Buddy
December 10, 2012
Born in Detroit, she moved around as a kid, before settling in Springfield, Va., a suburb of Washington, D.C.Meet Angel Haze: the Brooklyn Rapper Tackling Sex Abuse in Her Rhymes
November 21, 2012
Springfield had a church, and a school, and a post office, and a tavern.The Hunted Outlaw
We had just enough time to get to the station, where the train was ready to take me to Springfield.
Springfield at that time had barely thirty thousand inhabitants.
During the day I passed at Springfield I called at a gunsmith's to purchase a rifle.
Such a crisis as this nation has now, Springfield, Massachusetts, had once.The Ghost in the White House
Gerald Stanley Lee
- a city in S Massachusetts, on the Connecticut River: the site of the US arsenal and armoury (1794–1968), which developed the Springfield and Garand rifles. Pop: 152 157 (2003 est)
- a city in SW Missouri. Pop: 150 867 (2003 est)
- a city in central Illinois, capital of the state: the home and burial place of Abraham Lincoln. Pop: 113 586 (2003 est)
- a state of the N central US, in the Midwest: consists of level prairie crossed by the Illinois and Kaskaskia Rivers; mainly agricultural. Capital: Springfield. Pop: 12 653 544 (2003 est). Area: 144 858 sq km (55 930 sq miles)Abbreviation: Ill., (with zip code) IL
- a river in Illinois, flowing SW to the Mississippi. Length: 439 km (273 miles)
Word Origin and History for springfield
type of firearm, 1813, named for the U.S. government armory in Springfield, Mass.
U.S. territory created 1809; name is from a native Algonquian people who called themselves Inoca (1725), also written Ilinouek, Old Ottawa for "ordinary speaker." The modern form represents a 17c. French spelling, pronounced "ilinwe" at that time. Admitted as a state 1818.