- a supply of material, as a pile of gravel in road maintenance.
- a large supply of some metal, chemical, food, etc., gathered and held in reserve for use during a shortage or during a period of higher prices.
- a quantity, as of munitions or weapons, accumulated for possible future use.
- to accumulate (material, goods, or the like) for future use; put or store in a stockpile.
- to accumulate in a stockpile.
Origin of stockpile
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for stockpile
Importantly, as part of the interim plan, Iran has diluted or converted its stockpile of 20 percent enriched uranium.Iran Nuke Deal: A Matter of War or Peace
November 23, 2014
We have a stockpile of RD-180s and AJ26s that will last two years.Why Does the USA Depend on Russian Rockets to Get Us Into Space?
P. J. O’Rourke
June 22, 2014
They buried a stockpile of rifles and machine guns on a slope just above the building that was to house the inmates.Pablo Escobar’s Private Prison Is Now Run by Monks for Senior Citizens
June 7, 2014
A bit of advice for Republican establishment types: Stockpile your Valium for March 2016.Did the RNC Just Set the Table for Rand Paul?
May 14, 2014
The temptation to stockpile vulnerabilities for offense is easy to understand.The NSA Shouldn’t Stockpile Web Glitches
Richard Clarke, Peter Swire
April 18, 2014
And they've got a stockpile of ionic bombs ready at all times in case we get out of hand.Dead World
They knew there'd be a need of individuality then—and they did create a stockpile.
So far, the stockpile is big enough for about a week and a half of real cold.The Year When Stardust Fell
Raymond F. Jones
Next, this Government is in the storage and stockpile business to the melancholy tune of more than $16 billion.
A stockpile of the younger generation, specially educated; a stockpile of the older generation, carefully selected.
- to acquire and store a large quantity of (something)
- a large store or supply accumulated for future use
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for stockpile
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper