- a river in S Europe, flowing SE through SW Bulgaria and NE Greece into the Aegean. 225 miles (362 km) long.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- pathol an abnormal enlargement of the thyroid gland; goitre
- botany a swelling, esp one at the base of a moss capsule
- another word for scrofula
C16: from Latin: a scrofulous tumour, from struere to heap up
- a river in S Europe, rising in SW Bulgaria near Sofia and flowing generally southeast through Greece to the Aegean. Length: 362 km (225 miles)Greek names: Strimon, Strymon
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Enlargement of a tissue. No longer in technical use.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.