- a combining form representing style or styloid in the formation of compound words: stylography.
Origin of stylo-1
- a combining form meaning “column,” “pillar,” “tube,” used in the formation of compound words: stylolite.
Origin of stylo-2
< Greek, combining form of stŷlos pillar
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
before a vowel styl-
- (in biology) a stylestylopodium
- indicating a column or pointstylobate; stylograph
from Greek stulos column
- Styloid; styloid process:stylohyal.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.