- the highest point or part, as of a hill, a line of travel, or any object; top; apex.
- the highest point of attainment or aspiration: the summit of one's ambition.
- the highest state or degree.
- the highest level of diplomatic or other governmental officials: a meeting at the summit.
- summit meeting.
- of or relating to a summit meeting: summit talks.
- to take part in a summit meeting.
- to reach a summit: summited after a 14-hour climb.
- to reach the summit of.
Origin of summit
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for summiting
Reavis was summiting Mount Kilimanjaro with a group of young innovators, including Mooser.New Site RYOT Combines Breaking News With Activism
July 25, 2013
- the highest point or part, esp of a mountain or line of communication; top
- the highest possible degree or state; peak or climaxthe summit of ambition
- the highest level, importance, or ranka meeting at the summit
- a meeting of chiefs of governments or other high officials
- (as modifier)a summit conference
Word Origin and History for summiting
late 15c., from Middle French somete, from Old French sommette, diminutive of som, sum "highest part, top of a hill," from Latin summum, noun use of neuter of summus "highest," related to super "over" (see super-). The meaning "meeting of heads of state" (1950) is from Winston Churchill's metaphor of "a parley at the summit."