- being more than is sufficient or required; excessive.
- unnecessary or needless.
- Obsolete. possessing or spending more than enough or necessary; extravagant.
Origin of superfluous
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. extra; redundant.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for superfluousness
These Associations demonstrate the superfluousness of trade in a differently organized society.Woman under socialism
But she enjoyed the consciousness of knowing more than he did; she even forgave him his superfluousness.
What superfluousness, indeed, could there be in intelligence, unless its conceptions resemble imperfect productions?Plotinos: Complete Works, v. 3
Sister Maria Joseph, recognising with trembling her superfluousness, withdrew.
- exceeding what is sufficient or required
- not necessary or relevant; uncalled-for
- obsolete extravagant in expenditure or oversupplied with possessions
C15: from Latin superfluus overflowing, from super- + fluere to flow
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for superfluousness
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper