[soo-per-in-ten-duh n-see, soo-prin-]
- a district or place under a superintendent.
- the position or work of a superintendent.
- Also su·per·in·tend·ence. the act or process of superintending; direction; supervision; oversight.
Origin of superintendency
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for superintendence
Upon me little by little had devolved the superintendence of affairs.In the Valley
And now, who is to have the superintendence of the country, and what shall be the arrangement?Laws
Translated from the French under the Superintendence of the Author.
This is superintendence;—looking over the condition and progress of the scholar.The Teacher
These impressions must have been taken by himself, or, at least, under his superintendence.Rembrandt and His Works</p>
- the office or jurisdiction of a superintendent
- a district under the jurisdiction of a superintendent
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for superintendence
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper