- an extremely powerful nation, especially one capable of influencing international events and the acts and policies of less powerful nations.
- power greater in scope or magnitude than that which is considered natural or has previously existed.
- power, especially mechanical or electric power, on an extremely large scale secured by the linking together of a number of separate power systems, with a view to more efficient and economical generation and distribution.
Origin of superpower
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for superpowers
The villains are a bit more colorful, but the world is very real, and no one has any superpowers in this world.Ben McKenzie’s Journey From Reluctant Teen Idol on ‘The O.C.’ to Sheriff of ‘Gotham’
November 4, 2014
And the same is true for Flash: what is this show, that has nothing to do with superpowers?The TV Superhero Guru Behind ‘The Flash’
October 6, 2014
There were two superpowers, they knew what we had, we knew what they had, mutually assured destruction meant something.Rick Perry: America’s Next Top Strategist?
September 20, 2014
But most do not manifest these superpowers in their everyday lives.The Devil and Antonin Scalia
October 8, 2013
But teens with superpowers on the run from a shadowy organization that wants to kill them?Fall-Winter TV Preview: Snap Judgments of 2013–14’s New Shows
Jace Lacob, Kevin Fallon
July 16, 2013
Accustomed to the imposing ways of superpowers, the Balkan bowed its head.
It was the beginning of the damaging involvement of the superpowers in the area.
It has required us to seek a limitation of arms races not only among the superpowers, but among the smaller nations as well.
We superpowers also have the responsibility to exercise restraint in the use of our great military force.
Preventing nuclear war is the foremost responsibility of the two superpowers.
- an extremely powerful state, such as the US
- extremely high power, esp electrical or mechanical
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for superpowers
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper