- serving as a symbol of something (often followed by of).
- of, relating to, or expressed by a symbol.
- characterized by or involving the use of symbols: a highly symbolic poem.
- (in semantics, especially formerly) pertaining to a class of words that express only relations.Compare notional(def 7).
- Computers. expressed in characters, usually nonnumeric, that require translation before they can be used (opposed to absolute).
Sometimes sym·bol·i·cal (for defs 1–4).
Origin of symbolic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for symbolically
Crystal visits the Catskills, symbolically, in the show, but his humor is far from the whiny Allen mentality.Comedy Is His Calling: The Brilliance of Billy Crystal
April 18, 2014
Could she have been symbolically protecting Maisie from the “crowns” that the Tuttles placed on their victims?How ‘True Detective’ Will End
March 3, 2014
Tibi had previously symbolically spilled water on Prawer Bill in Knesset.Israel Officially Enters E.U.'s Horizon 2020 Program
December 20, 2013
It might be symbolically meaningful, but probably not financially.Should People Be Forced to Buy Liability Insurance for their Guns?
December 28, 2012
Similarly, the symbolically significant date of November 29 adds a second curve ball.Fear and Suspicion Of Turtle Bay
November 30, 2012
Symbolically speaking, that is what they would like to do with us.Utopia of Usurers and other Essays
Gilbert Keith Chesterton
All future symbols are symbolically explained by means of these three.Mysticism and Logic and Other Essays
Guilt is allayed by symbolically and ritually passing it onto another.After the Rain
Symbolically, the one gives nourishment; the other gives life.The Blood Covenant
H. Clay Trumbull
Ezekiel represents Babylon and Egypt, symbolically, as two eagles.Needlework As Art
- of or relating to a symbol or symbols
- serving as a symbol
- characterized by the use of symbols or symbolism
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for symbolically
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper