[adjective tey-ler-meyd; noun tey-ler-meyd, -meyd]
- custom-made; made-to-order; made-to-measure: an expensive tailor-made suit.
- fashioned to a particular taste, purpose, demand, etc.: a musical comedy tailor-made for the popular audience.
- something, as a garment, that is tailor-made.
Origin of tailor-made
First recorded in 1825–35
- to make or adjust to meet the needs of the particular situation, individual, object, etc.: to tailor-make a tour.
Origin of tailor-make
First recorded in 1895–1900
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for tailor-made
The power ballad “Unconditionally” is tailor-made to soundtrack a Nicholas Sparks movie.‘Prism’ Review: Katy Perry Perfects the Pop Blockbuster
October 22, 2013
This approach is, of course, tailor-made for local news outlets.Obama: Fear the Sequester Cuts!
February 26, 2013
Meanwhile, what should have been a tailor-made dream for a new director general has become a first order nightmare.Jimmy Savile Scandal Reaches New York Times
November 1, 2012
The argument over taxes and entitlement programs is tailor-made for Cavuto, whose wheelhouse is financial news.Why Mitt Romney Turned to Fox News’ Neil Cavuto for Damage Control
September 20, 2012
The heavily evangelical and staunchly conservative electorate was tailor-made for the ex-Georgia congressman.Mitt Romney Faces High Stakes in NBC Debate With Surging Newt Gingrich
January 23, 2012
Brown braiding on a tailor-made jacket does not, however, consort with hay-wagons.American Notes
She was simply dressed in a tailor-made gown of white serge.Mr. Grex of Monte Carlo
E. Phillips Oppenheim
Everett, I'll wear my tailor-made dress this morning and for lunch.The Twelfth Hour
Sadie had chattered about tailor-made dresses and Parisian chiffons.A Desert Drama
A. Conan Doyle
Quickly she ran up-stairs and took off her tailor-made costume.The White Shield
- made by a tailor to fit exactlya tailor-made suit
- perfectly meeting a particular purposea girl tailor-made for him
- a tailor-made garment
- slang a cigarette made in a factory rather than rolled by hand
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012