- the science or technique of classification.
- a classification into ordered categories: a proposed taxonomy of educational objectives.
- Biology. the science dealing with the description, identification, naming, and classification of organisms.
Origin of taxonomy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for taxonomist
Crawforth claims that his subject was unmatched as a taxonomist, and that his self-effacing style elevated his writing.Exploring the Amazon, While We Still Can
May 15, 2014
Taxol′ogy, the science of classification; Taxon′omer, a taxonomist.
- the branch of biology concerned with the classification of organisms into groups based on similarities of structure, origin, etc
- the practice of arranging organisms in this way
- the science or practice of classification
C19: from French taxonomie, from Greek taxis order + -nomy
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for taxonomist
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The classification of organisms in an ordered system that indicates natural relationships.
- The science, laws, or principles of classification; systematics.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- The scientific classification of organisms into specially named groups based either on shared characteristics or on evolutionary relationships as inferred from the fossil record or established by genetic analysis.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The classification of living things. (See Linnean classification.)
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.