- to fill or overcome with terror.
- to dominate or coerce by intimidation.
- to produce widespread fear by acts of violence, as bombings.
Also especially British, ter·ror·ise.
Origin of terrorize
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1, 2. See frighten.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to coerce or control by violence, fear, threats, etc
- to inspire with dread; terrify
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for terrorization
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper