- The, a city in central Oklahoma.
- a small group of houses in a country area, larger than a hamlet
- the inhabitants of such a community collectively
- an incorporated municipality smaller than a town in various parts of the US and Canada
- a group of habitats of certain animals
- NZ a self-contained city area having its own shops, etc
- (modifier) of, relating to, or characteristic of a villagea village green
Word Origin and History for the-village
late 14c., "inhabited place larger than a hamlet but smaller than a town," from Old French village "houses and other buildings in a group" (usually smaller than a town), from Latin villaticum "farmstead" (with outbuildings), noun use of neuter singular of villaticus "having to do with a farmstead or villa," from villa "country house" (see villa). Village idiot is recorded from 1907.