- the fleshy mass of the outer side of the palm of the hand.
- the fleshy prominence or ball of muscle at the base of the thumb.
- of or relating to the thenar.
Origin of thenar
1665–75; < New Latin < Greek thénar palm of hand or sole of foot
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for thenar
In the ox and the horse we meet with no vestige of the muscles of the thenar or hypothenar eminences.Artistic Anatomy of Animals
- the palm of the hand
- the fleshy area of the palm at the base of the thumb
- of or relating to the palm or the region at the base of the thumb
C17: via New Latin from Greek; related to Old High German tenar palm of the hand
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- The fleshy mass on the palm at the base of the thumb.thenar prominence
- Of or relating to the thenar.