- no thing; not anything; naught: to say nothing.
- no part, share, or trace (usually followed by of): The house showed nothing of its former magnificence.
- something that is nonexistent.
- nonexistence; nothingness: The sound faded to nothing.
- something or someone of no importance or significance: Money is nothing when you're without health.
- a trivial action, matter, circumstance, thing, or remark: to exchange a few nothings when being introduced.
- a person of little or no importance; a nobody.
- something that is without quantity or magnitude.
- a cipher or naught: Nothing from nine leaves nine.
- (used in conventional responses to expressions of thanks): Think nothing of it. It's nothing. Nothing to it.
- in no respect or degree; not at all: It was nothing like that. Nothing dismayed, he repeated his question.
- amounting to nothing, as in offering no prospects for satisfaction, advancement, or the like: She was stuck in a nothing job.
- for nothing,
- free of charge.
- for no apparent reason or motive.
- futilely; to no avail: They had gone to a great deal of expense for nothing.
- in nothing flat, in very little time: Dinner was finished in nothing flat.
- make nothing of,
- to treat lightly; regard as easy.
- to be unsuccessful in comprehending: He could make nothing of the complicated directions.
- nothing but, nothing other than; only: We could see nothing but fog.
- nothing doing,
- Informal.emphatically no; certainly not.
- no activity, inducement, advantage, etc., present to the eye: We drove through the town but there seemed to be nothing doing.
- nothing less than/short of, absolutely; completely: She was used to nothing less than the best.
- think nothing of,
- to treat casually.
- to regard as insignificant: He thinks nothing of lying to conceal his incompetence.
Origin of nothing
- (indefinite) no thing; not anything, as of an implied or specified class of thingsI can give you nothing
- no part or shareto have nothing to do with this crime
- a matter of no importance or significanceit doesn't matter, it's nothing
- indicating the absence of anything perceptible; nothingness
- indicating the absence of meaning, value, worth, etcto amount to nothing
- zero quantity; nought
- be nothing to
- not to concern or be significant to (someone)
- to be not nearly as good as
- have nothing to do with or be nothing to do with to have no connection with
- have nothing on or have got nothing on
- to have no engagements to keep
- to be undressed or naked
- informalto compare unfavourably with
- in nothing flat informal in almost no time; very quickly or soon
- nothing but not something other than; only
- nothing doing informal an expression of dismissal, disapproval, lack of compliance with a request, etc
- nothing if not at the very least; certainly
- nothing less than or nothing short of downright; truly
- there's nothing for it there's no choice; there's no other course
- there's nothing like a general expression of praisethere's nothing like a good cup of tea
- there's nothing to it it is very simple, easy, etc
- think nothing of
- to regard as routine, easy, or natural
- to have no compunction or hesitation about
- to have a very low opinion of
- to say nothing of as well as; even disregardinghe was warmly dressed in a shirt and heavy jumper, to say nothing of his thick overcoat
- stop at nothing to be prepared to do anything; be unscrupulous or ruthless
- in no way; not at allhe looked nothing like his brother
- informal a person or thing of no importance or significance
- sweet nothings words of endearment or affection
Word Origin and History for think nothing of
Idioms and Phrases with think nothing of
think nothing of
Give little consideration to, regard as routine, as in He thinks nothing of driving 100 miles to see a new movie. [c. 1800]
think nothing of it. It's not important, as in Thanks for the lift.—Think nothing of it. This way of saying you're welcome dates from the late 1800s.
In addition to the idioms beginning with nothing
- nothing but
- nothing doing
- nothing if not
- nothing like
- nothing new under the sun
- nothing of the kind
- nothing short of
- nothing to do with
- nothing to it, there's
- nothing to sneeze at
- nothing to speak of
- nothing to write home about
- nothing ventured, nothing gained
- come to nothing
- count for (nothing)
- go for nothing
- have nothing on
- have nothing to do with
- here goes (nothing)
- in no time (nothing flat)
- leave a lot (nothing) to be desired
- make nothing of
- make something of (nothing)
- much ado about nothing
- not know beans (from nothing)
- not to mention (say nothing of)
- stop at nothing
- sweet nothings
- think nothing of
- want for nothing