Origin of tidemark
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for tidemark
This was the tidemark of a friendly bite Cleg had given to a friend, in whose double row were no gaps.Cleg Kelly, Arab of the City
S. R. (Samuel Rutherford) Crockett
- a mark left by the highest or lowest point of a tide
- a marker indicating the highest or lowest point reached by a tide
- mainly British a mark showing a level reached by a liquida tidemark on the bath
- informal, mainly British a dirty mark on the skin, indicating the extent to which someone has washed
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- A line or mark on a shore indicating the highest or lowest level reached by the tide.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.