- a jump ball that begins each period.
Origin of tipoff
- the act of tipping off.
- a hint or warning: They got a tip-off on the raid.
Origin of tip-off
First recorded in 1910–15; noun use of verb phrase tip off
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for tipoff
W R wouldnt part with half a C for a tipoff on the Secondcoming.Greener Than You Think
- a warning or hint, esp given confidentially and based on inside information
- basketball the act or an instance of putting the ball in play by a jump ball
- (tr, adverb) to give a hint or warning to
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012