- a chronic, contagious infection of the conjunctiva and cornea, characterized by the formation of granulations and scarring and caused by the bacterium Chlamydia trachomatis.
Origin of trachoma
1685–95; < Greek trā́chōma roughness, equivalent to trāch(ýs) rough + -ōma -oma
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for trachomatous
A trachomatous child should be kept from school until it has been cured, and that cure will take a very long time.Essays In Pastoral Medicine
- a chronic contagious disease of the eye characterized by inflammation of the conjunctiva and cornea and the formation of scar tissue, caused by infection with the virus-like bacterium Chlamydia trachomatis
C17: from New Latin, from Greek trakhōma roughness, from trakhus rough
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for trachomatous
1690s, from Modern Latin trachoma, from Greek trakhoma "roughness," from trakhys "rough."
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Relating to or suffering from trachoma.
- A contagious disease of the conjunctiva and cornea, caused by the bacterium Chlamydia trachomatis and marked by inflammation, hypertrophy, and formation of granules of adenoid tissue. It is a major cause of blindness in Asia and Africa.contagious granular conjunctivitis Egyptian ophthalmia granular conjunctivitis granular ophthalmia
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- A contagious disease of the conjunctiva and cornea, caused by the bacteria Chlamydia trachomatis and characterized by granules of inflammatory tissue. It is a major cause of blindness in Asia and Africa.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.