- a dramatic or other literary composition combining elements of both tragedy and comedy.
- an incident, or series of incidents, of mixed tragic and comic character.
Origin of tragicomedy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for tragicomical
The details of this disgraceful transaction, and the tragicomical events that followed, will form the subject of our next.Revolution and Counter-Revolution
- a drama in which aspects of both tragedy and comedy are found
- the dramatic genre of works of this kind
- an event or incident having both comic and tragic aspects
C16: from French, ultimately from Late Latin tragicōmoedia; see tragedy, comedy
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for tragicomical
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper