Try Our Apps


The Best Internet Slang


[tran-suh m] /ˈtræn səm/
a crosspiece separating a door or the like from a window or fanlight above it.
Also called transom light, transom window. a window above such a crosspiece.
a crossbar of wood or stone, dividing a window horizontally.
a window so divided.
  1. a flat termination to a stern, above the water line.
  2. framework running athwartships in way of the sternpost of a steel or iron vessel, used as a support for the frames of the counter.
Artillery. a metal piece connecting the sidepieces of the tail or the cheeks of a gun carriage.
Origin of transom
late Middle English
1325-75; late Middle English traunsum, traunsom, Middle English transyn, probably alteration (by association with trans-) of traversayn < Old French traversin crosspiece, derivative of travers breadth; see traverse
Related forms
transomed, adjective Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2017.
Cite This Source
Examples from the Web for transom
Contemporary Examples
Historical Examples
  • Now roost on the transom, over there in the corner, Stryker, and don't move.

    The Black Bag Louis Joseph Vance
  • If the stern was square, the transom was set at a rake of not less than 45.

  • The arch of the transom must be marked, and the hull cut down to the sheer.

    Boys' Book of Model Boats Raymond Francis Yates
  • The "hatch" was the transom over the door between the offices.

    The Portygee Joseph Crosby Lincoln
  • Cadogan wondered what the man on the transom was thinking of.

    Sonnie-Boy's People James B. Connolly
  • Only Cadogan seemed to remember that Lavis was on the transom seat.

    Sonnie-Boy's People James B. Connolly
  • The transom was open, leaving an aperture of about three inches.

    Frank Merriwell's Pursuit Burt L. Standish
  • Again Morgan lifted his eyes to the midnight orbs beyond the transom.

    Frank Merriwell's Pursuit Burt L. Standish
British Dictionary definitions for transom


Also called traverse. a horizontal member across a window Compare mullion
a horizontal member that separates a door from a window over it
the usual US name for fanlight
  1. a surface forming the stern of a vessel, either vertical or canted either forwards (reverse transom) or aft at the upper side
  2. any of several transverse beams used for strengthening the stern of a vessel
Derived Forms
transomed, adjective
Word Origin
C14: earlier traversayn, from Old French traversin, from traverse
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Cite This Source
Word Origin and History for transom

mid-14c., transeyn "crossbeam spanning an opening, lintel," probably by dissimilation from Latin transtrum "crossbeam" (especially one spanning an opening), from trans- "across" (see trans-) + instrumental suffix -trum. Meaning "small window over a door or other window" is first recorded 1844.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Cite This Source

Word of the Day

Difficulty index for transom

Some English speakers likely know this word

Word Value for transom

Scrabble Words With Friends

Nearby words for transom