- of or relating to the thorax.
Also tho·ra·cal [thawr-uh-kuh l, thohr-] /ˈθɔr ə kəl, ˈθoʊr-/.
Origin of thoracic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- of, near, or relating to the thorax
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for transthoracic
1650s, from Medieval Latin thoracicus, from Greek thorakikos, from thorax (see thorax).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Across or through the thoracic cavity or chest wall.
- Of, relating to, or situated in or near the thorax.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Relating to or located in or near the thorax.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.