- an apparatus for producing rotary motion by the weight of people or animals, treading on a succession of moving steps or a belt that forms a kind of continuous path, as around the periphery of a pair of horizontal cylinders.
- an exercise machine that allows the user to walk or run in place, usually on a continuous moving belt.
- any monotonous, wearisome routine in which there is little or no satisfactory progress.
Origin of treadmill
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for treadmill
The fitness coaches at a globo-gym like Gold's would notice that a user was struggling with their squat or treadmill run.Amiigo Tracker Pairs Data With Deadlifts
August 4, 2014
There are a few problems with outfitting an entire office with treadmill desks.Work Like Churchill-Ditch Your Office Chair and Embrace the Standing Desk
June 2, 2014
Check in with HR regarding the possibility of getting a standing or treadmill desk to feel the burn all day long.7 FitBit Hacks to Burn More Calories in 2014
January 6, 2014
Williams scolds him for not playing hard enough against her while she runs on a treadmill.
“That scene of Serena on the treadmill, that's what makes her so great: she is hell bent on winning,” Baird says.
The bovine humanity fitted to the machinery as the ox to the treadmill.City of Endless Night
We trudge in the treadmill and call it love of our ancient institutions.A Preface to Politics</p>
It is provided with a treadmill just forward of the big stern wheel.The Critic in the Orient
George Hamlin Fitch
He took me in his hand, certainly, but he popped me into a cage, a treadmill.What the Moon Saw: and Other Tales
Hans Christian Andersen
He took me up, indeed, in his hand; but he put me in a cage, a treadmill.The Sand-Hills of Jutland
Hans Christian Andersen
- Also called: treadwheel (formerly) an apparatus used to produce rotation, in which the weight of men or animals climbing steps on or around the periphery of a cylinder or wheel caused it to turn
- a dreary round or routine
- an exercise machine that consists of a continuous moving belt on which to walk or jog
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for treadmill
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper