[trop-i-kuh l for 1–4, 6; troh-pi-kuh l for 5]
- pertaining to, characteristic of, occurring in, or inhabiting the tropics, especially the humid tropics: tropical flowers.
- very hot and humid: a tropical climate.
- designed for use in the tropics or in very hot weather (often used in combination): tropical-weight woolens.
- of or relating to either or both of the astronomical tropics.
- pertaining to, characterized by, or of the nature of a trope or tropes; metaphorical.
- tropicals, lightweight clothing, suitable for warm, especially summer weather.
Origin of tropical
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for tropical
Mistletoes on mesquite trees in central Mexico have been linked to a greater abundance of tropical bird species.Mistletoe is the Vampire of Plants
December 21, 2014
The abandoned barracks of the Liberian Army lay just beyond in the tropical thicket.The Life of a Liberian Child with Ebola
November 5, 2014
A tropical storm, clearly visible on radar for days, is to blame.Nepal’s Deadliest Avalanche Was Totally Avoidable
October 20, 2014
From deep within, looking up at the tropical sky is like staring through the dome of some kind of earthen cathedral.What Made Mexico’s Most Mysterious Beach?
October 14, 2014
Bob Kaiser, chief of tropical diseases at the CDC, was stumped by the descriptions of the fever.The Original Ebola Hunter
September 14, 2014
Winter lasts eight months, and the short summer is tropical.The Roof of France
The tropical forms all disappear in these zones, as the equatorial do in the tropical zones.Life: Its True Genesis
R. W. Wright
During the first invasion the fighting had been under a tropical sun.
The climate is tropical, and malaria, with its fever and ague, is prevalent.The Last Voyage
Lady (Annie Allnutt) Brassey
Where do you suppose I'm to find him, the gorgeous, tropical anomaly?'
- situated in, used in, characteristic of, or relating to the tropics
- (of weather) very hot, esp when humid
- rhetoric of or relating to a trope
Word Origin and History for tropical
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper