- the gathering of persons who come to an exhibition, party, spectacle, or the like: They had a large turnout at the meeting.
- quantity of production; output.
- an act of turning out.
- the manner or style in which a person or thing is equipped, dressed, etc.
- equipment; outfit.
- a short side track, space, spur, etc., that enables trains, automobiles, etc., to pass one another or park.
- Ballet. the turning out of the legs from the hips, with the feet back to back or heel to heel.
- Railroads. a track structure composed of a switch, a frog, and closure rails, permitting a train to leave a given track for a branching or parallel track.Compare crossover(def 6).
Origin of turnout
Examples from the Web for turnout
And new evidence shows the cause is a turnout motivator for Democratic base voters.Now, Gay Marriage Is a GOP Problem
November 15, 2014
But turnout tends to be far more variable in a midterm election and modeling become far difficult.Did a Flawed Computer Model Sabotage the Democrats?
November 10, 2014
He noted that the turnout promoting effect of a canvasser knocking on a door decays within ten days to be almost minimal.The Democrats’ Simple Midterm Weapon
November 4, 2014
Given such a multi-vehicle car wreck, voters have understandably tuned out and turnout is expected to be extremely low.Why D.C. Wants an Election About Nothing
October 23, 2014
Bucca must have placed his turnout coat protectively around several civilians, for it was later found still wrapped around them.The Flying New York Fireman Who Shined on 9/11
September 11, 2014
By this means, in a minute more, the turnout was safe in the middle of the roadway.Dave Porter At Bear Camp
In the meantime, the driver had brought the turnout to a halt.The Rover Boys on Snowshoe Island
"Wish we were in a carriage," observed Tom, after the turnout had gone on.The Rover Boys on the Farm
Arthur M. Winfield (AKA Edward Stratemeyer)
Such a turnout had never been seen in Tuscany since the Medician days.The Humbugs of the World
P. T. Barnum
The horses and the turnout were taken around to the stables.Dave Porter and His Rivals