- a weak chirping sound, as of a young or small bird.
- Digital Technology. a message posted on the Twitter social media service and website: the message may include text, links, photos, or videos.
- to make a weak chirping sound.
- Digital Technology. to post a message on Twitter: She tweets a lot about movies.
- Digital Technology. to post (a message) on Twitter for (people) to read: He tweeted his fans after the event.
Origin of tweet
Examples from the Web for tweet
The tweet set off an Internet firestorm and was retweeted nearly 15,000 times in less than an hour.Neil deGrasse Tyson Trolls Christians on Christmas
December 25, 2014
That tweet came from Shay Horse, whose bio lists him as an independent photojournalist with ties to Occupy Wall Street.The Monsters Who Screamed for Dead Cops
December 23, 2014
“Bare [sic] with me on vlogmas,” she told her fans in a Tweet.Meet Zoella—The Newbie Author Whose Book Sales Topped J.K. Rowling
December 11, 2014
So I tweet things like "you don't owe white people any convos" to support others.The Unbearable Whiteness of Protesting
Rawiya Kameir, Judnick Mayard
December 10, 2014
Trierweiler has also expressed regret over the tweet in a recent interview with the U.K. Observer.Hell Hath No Fury Like Valerie Trierweiler, the French President’s Ex
November 28, 2014
Tweet was all right, and I hain't got anything to say against her.The Coast of Bohemia
William Dean Howells
The swallow sang "Tweet, tweet," and from his song came the whole story.
"Tweet," they replied and drew back the left foot three times.
It could not be from fear of us, certainly, though I did say 'tweet' rather loudly.
This must be the beautiful,—tweet,—only this is larger than a peacock.
- (often reiterated) an imitation or representation of the thin chirping sound made by small or young birds
- (intr) to make this sound
- a thin chirping sound
- a short message posted on the Twitter website
Word Origin and History for tweet
1845, imitative of the sound made by a small bird. As a verb by 1872. Related: Tweeted; tweeting. As the word for what one does on the Twitter microblogging service, by 2007.