- to stir to action or strong response; excite: to arouse a crowd; to arouse suspicion.
- to stimulate sexually.
- to awaken; wake up: The footsteps aroused the dog.
- to awake or become aroused: At dawn the farmers began to arouse.
Origin of arouse
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. animate; inspirit, inspire; incite, provoke, instigate; stimulate, kindle, fire.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (tr) to evoke or elicit (a reaction, emotion, or response); stimulate
- to awaken from sleep
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for unarousable
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper