- to establish as genuine.
- to establish the authorship or origin of conclusively or unquestionably, chiefly by the techniques of scholarship: to authenticate a painting.
- to make authoritative or valid.
Origin of authenticate
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. confirm, validate, substantiate.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for unauthenticated
There was an unauthenticated rumour that he had been seen of late, lurking about Wanley.Demos
This, by many, is believed to be a species, but as such is unauthenticated.
The whole investigation is a little depressing, and makes one very shy of unauthenticated ballads.Old Friends
Destroyed as it is by the malign influence of these and the like objections, the universal is unauthenticated.The Sarva-Darsana-Samgraha
However all this may really have been, there is no question of the genuineness of this unauthenticated narrative.
- to establish as genuine or valid
- to give authority or legal validity to
Word Origin and History for unauthenticated
"verify, establish the credibility of," 1650s, from Medieval Latin authenticatus, past participle of authenticare, from authenticus (see authentic). Related: Authenticated; authenticating.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper