- to soil; tarnish; discolor.
- to detract from the honor or luster of: to besmirch someone's good name.
Origin of besmirch
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
2. stain, tarnish, soil, blacken, dishonor, discredit, sully, besmear.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to make dirty; soil
- to reduce the brightness or lustre of
- to sully (often in the phrase besmirch (a person's) name)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for unbesmirched
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper