Origin of customary
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. wonted, accustomed, conventional, common, regular. See usual.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- in accordance with custom or habitual practice; usual; habitual
- founded upon long continued practices and usage rather than law
- (of land, esp a feudal estate) held by custom
- a statement in writing of customary laws and practices
- a body of such laws and customs
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for uncustomarily
1520s, from Medieval Latin custumarius, from Latin consuetudinarius, from consuetitudinem (see custom (n.)). Related: Customarily.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper