- having the qualities, accomplishments, etc., that fit a person for some function, office, or the like.
- having the qualities, accomplishments, etc., required by law or custom for getting, having, or exercising a right, holding an office, or the like.
- modified, limited, or restricted in some way: a qualified endorsement.
Origin of qualified
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. able, capable, competent, fitted.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for underqualified
Underqualified for the OverratedNewsweek October 19, 2009 On why President Obama did not deserve to win the Nobel Peace Prize.Christopher Hitchens Articles in Newsweek Magazine
December 16, 2011
Are we not at long last tired of turning the reins of government over to the underqualified offspring of former presidents?Uh, Qualified?
December 14, 2008
- having the abilities, qualities, attributes, etc, necessary to perform a particular job or task
- limited, modified, or restricted; not absolute
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012