- not of prime importance; not indispensable.
- an unessential thing; nonessential.
Origin of unessential
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. unnecessary, dispensable, unimportant.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for unessential
It was like a woman, he thought, to fasten upon the unessential.Scaramouche
As far as the teaching of grammar is concerned, it is unessential.College Teaching
In unessential matters he is ready to yield to the sentiments of his inferiors.The Red Hand of Ulster
George A. Birmingham
Let it be my task to find it and to separate it from what is unessential and false.The Enjoyment of Art
He likes to be consulted, and I pamper him as much as possible in all unessential details.Dear Enemy
- a less common word for inessential
- something that is not essential