- not fit; not adapted or suited; unsuitable: He was unfit for his office.
- unqualified or incompetent.
- not physically fit or in due condition.
- Biology. pertaining to an organism or population that is not adapted to prevailing conditions or is not producing offspring in sufficient numbers to maintain its contribution to the gene pool of the next generation.
- to render unfit or unsuitable; disqualify.
Origin of unfit
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. inappropriate, unapt. 2. incapable.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for unfit
Du Pont, 57, was initially declared “actively psychotic” and unfit for trial by a judge, and ordered to a psychiatric hospital.Foxcatcher’s Real-Life Psycho Killer
November 18, 2014
In 1971, the local council declared it unfit for living, and evicted the occupants.The Isle Where the Rolling Stones Began
September 5, 2014
And really, how can anybody claim that a 25-year-old is unfit to become Miss America?24 Is Not Too “Old” to Compete for Miss America
June 27, 2014
The 1891 Immigration Act declared certain classes of individuals as unfit to become American citizens.Ellis Island’s Doubled-Edged Legacy
May 25, 2014
Modi, one suspects, will be in no hurry to visit the land that considered him unfit for entry only a short while ago.Mr. Politically Correct Obama, Meet Your Opposite, India’s Mr. Modi
May 17, 2014
With such deep yearning in his soul, he was unfit for heaven.Other Tales and Sketches
The unfit brought in for strength are weakness and destruction.Weighed and Wanting
When I discovered that I was unfit to hold that trust any longer, I quit.K
Mary Roberts Rinehart
This craft was unfit for her duty, but time pressed, and no better offered.Ned Myers
James Fenimore Cooper
If there are yellow streaks in the lean of the bacon, it is rusty, and unfit to eat.Directions for Cookery, in its Various Branches
- (postpositive often foll by for) unqualified, incapable, or incompetentunfit for military service
- (postpositive often foll by for) unsuitable or inappropriatethe ground was unfit for football
- in poor physical condition
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for unfit
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper