- to express in precise form; state definitely or systematically: He finds it extremely difficult to formulate his new theory.
- to devise or develop, as a method, system, etc.
- to reduce to or express in a formula.
Origin of formulate
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. articulate, frame, compose, define, specify.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for unformulated
It was upon this unformulated theory that all future differences were to arise.The Siege of Boston
Independence and optimism are vital parts of his unformulated creed.The Bibliotaph
Leon H. Vincent
Such, somewhere, was her belief, quite obscure and unformulated.The Rainbow
D. H. (David Herbert) Lawrence
Gravitation was a force whose laws and character were yet unformulated.
And they worked as if under the impulse of some unformulated motive.Angel Island
Inez Haynes Gillmore
- to put into or express in systematic terms; express in or as if in a formula
- to devise
Word Origin and History for unformulated
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper