- not providing satisfaction; unprofitable: unfruitful efforts.
- not producing offspring; sterile: an unfruitful marriage.
- not yielding good crops; infertile: unfruitful acres.
- not bearing fruit; fruitless; barren: an unfruitful tree.
Origin of unfruitful
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. fruitless, unproductive, vain, unrewarding.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for unfruitful
The works of darkness are unfruitful because they are transient.
And they are unfruitful because, whilst they last, they yield no real satisfaction.
Futile for a time were the parental arguments, unfruitful every effort!Political Women (Vol. 1 of 2)
He has not cast out the unfruitful, but has tenderly spared them.The Parables of Our Lord
I coughed and made other noises, with like unfruitful result.The Wild Huntress
- barren, unproductive, or unprofitable
- failing to produce or develop into fruit
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for unfruitful
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper