- of or relating to one sex only.
- having only male or female organs in one individual, as an animal or a flower.
Origin of unisexual
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for unisexual
The unisexual (male and female) flowers, may be on the same or on different plants.On the Origin of Species
Naiadace—Aquatic herbs with inconspicuous, unisexual or bisexual flowers.The Sea Shore
William S. Furneaux
But exactly the same might be said of any other tribe of unisexual animals.Parallel Paths
Thomas William Rolleston
Unisexual, with staminate and pistillate flowers on different individuals.
Unisexual, with staminate and pistillate flowers on the same individual.
- of or relating to one sex only
- (of some organisms) having either male or female reproductive organs but not both
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Having the sex organs of only one sex; not hermaphroditic. Used of organisms.
- Having stamens and pistils in separate flowers borne on the same plant; diclinous. Used of flowers.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.